Jumbuck Meats Gourmet Butchery is located in the main street of Oatley Village at 16 Frederick Street, owned By Ray Wood.
Opening in 1928 originally as a butcher shop by Thomas Handyside Macdonald who sons Thomas and Graham ran the shop while Thomas Snr and son David ran their Mortdale shop. Thomas Snr migrated from Scotland in 1925. The delivery method around Oatley was then a horse and cart.
It is quite ironic that Thomas Macdonald Snr had a Thomas Macdonald Jnr running the shop as these days Ray Wood Jnr purchased the shop from his father Ray Wood Snr in May 2012 and changed the name from Oatley Village Butchery to Jumbuck Meats Gourmet Butchery.
Ray Snr has been in the meat industry for over 40 years, doing his apprenticeship in Bondi in 1964 and then opening his first shop in Toukley in 1969 and going on to own and build up many successful retail shops throughout Sydney.
Ray Jnr on the other hand completed a Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Wollongong in Marketing and Finance. After working for the Attorney General’s Department for three years, he then started his own business delivering meat to restaurants and clubs using the rear of his fathers shop at Panania.
Three years on building up the wholesale business, he purchased the shop at Oatley and was proud to name it after his fathers business, Jumbuck Meats.